Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 10-15
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- Kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place first 7 ingredients in a food processor. Add 3/4 cup butter; pulse 8-10 times or until mixture resembles corn meal.
3. Place mixture in a large bowl; stir in cheese. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Do not over mix. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times.
4. Form dough into a rectangle 10”X7”. Cut into 15 squares. Place squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
5. Note: You can freeze the squares of dough by placing them on parchment paper and into a freezer bag. When ready to bake, remove from freezer. Butter and salt the tops and bake 25-30 minutes.