Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
- 3 leeks 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Cut the leeks into 1/2” slices.
2. Put into a bowl of cold water to soak for five minutes to allow sand to sink to bottom of bowl. Strain out leeks and pat dry with a towel.
3. In a skillet, heat half of the oil and add leeks and shallots. Saute for 15 minutes, until soft.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and add chile, parsley, spices, sugar and salt. Allow to cool.
5. Whisk the egg white to soft peaks and fold it into the vegetables.
6. In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, whole egg, milk and butter to form a batter. Gently mix it into the vegetable mixture.
7. Put 2 tbsp. of the remaining oil in a large frying pan and place over a medium heat.
8. When oil is hot, spoon mixture into pan to make small fritters. Fry them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp.
9. Remove to paper towels and keep warm. Continue making fritters, adding oil as needed, but make sure additional oil is heated well before adding the mixture.