I LOVE THIS PIE FROM THE SMITTEN KITCHEN COOKBOOK! I’VE MADE IT SEVERAL TIMES, AND THERE IS NEVER A PIECE LEFTOVER. MAKE SURE YOU BEAT A FULL FIVE MINUTES AFTER ADDING EACH EGG, SINCE THAT’S WHAT MAKES IT SO SILKY!
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serves: 8
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- chocolate curls shaved from a bittersweet chocolate bar
1. Make crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until evenly dispersed. Press crumbs evenly across bottom and up sides of a standard 9 inch pie dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then let cool completely.
2. Make filling: In a large stand mixer, whip butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. While mixer is running, drizzle in melted chocolate. Add eggs one at a time, beating mixture at medium speed for five minutes after each addition, and scraping down the bowl. Add the vanilla, and blend well. Spread chocolate filling in prepared crust, and smooth the top. Set pie in the fridge until fully chilled, at least 6 hours.
3. To finish: Just before serving, beat cream with sugar until just holds soft peaks. Spoon onto pie and garnish with bittersweet chocolate shavings.