Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 8
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 8 tbsp. lime juice (I use bottled key lime juice)
- 1 tbsp. grated lime zest
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 14 ounce can, plus an additional 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Cream topping:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs with sugar. Add butter and almond extract and blend. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes, let cool.
4. Put yolks in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, until thick and frothy. Stir in zest, juice and condensed milk. Pour into cooled pie crust and return to oven to bake 15 minutes. Removed from oven and cool at room temperature. Top with whipped cream and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Grate lime zest on top, if desired.
5. Cream topping:
6. Whip the cream and cream cheese in a large bowl until just starting to thicken. Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla while continuing to beat until soft peaks form. Stir in coconut.