THIS WAS MY HUSBAND’S BIRTHDAY CAKE THIS YEAR. THE CHOCOLATE CRUST TASTES DIVINE WITH THE CREAMY LEMON CHEESECAKE FILLING. AND WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAKE TO TAKE TO A PARTY!
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 60 minutes Serves: 15
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 8-ounce pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- bittersweet chocolate curls or shavings
- 1 lemon, sliced
1. Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray inside of 9” Springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. Whisk flour, cocoa, and salt in small bowl; set aside. Combine chocolate and butter in medium glass bowl. Heat in microwave in 30 second increments until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds. Let cool about 10 minutes. Whisk eggs and vanilla into chocolate mixture. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture and spread into springform pan along bottom and up 1” on the sides of pan. Bake crust until top looks slightly cracked, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool to room temperature.
3. Filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Add flour, lemon peel, and lemon juice; beat until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until incorporated after each addition. Beat in 1/2 cup sour cream and whipping cream. Pour filling over cooled crust in pan; smooth top. Place pan on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake until puffed, light golden, and set around edges, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove cake from oven, but maintain oven temperature. Spoon 1 cup sour cream over top of cake and spread with an offset spatula. Return cake to oven and bake 5 minutes. Turn off oven and let cake cool down with oven door closed for 30 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold; top cake with chocolate curls and lemon slices.