THIS SUMMER DESSERT IS PERFECT FOR ANY PICNIC OR AFTERNOON SNACK! SERVE IT WITH FRESH FRUIT, CHOCOLATE, OR A DUSTING OF POWDERED SUGAR. IT ALSO FREEZES WELL FOR ANOTHER DAY.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 90 minutes Serves: 12
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake ﬂour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. ﬁnely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. pure lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and ﬂour a 10-inch Bundt pan. In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Add eggs, one at a time and beat just until blended. In a medium bowl, sift together the ﬂour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the ﬂour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the milk in batches. Stir in 1 tbsp. of the lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp. lemon zest, and the lemon juice to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Turn the cake out onto the rack and immediately brush the hot syrup over the hot cake. Let cool to room temperature before serving.