BURGERS ENCASED IN PUFF PASTRY WITH CHEESE AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS! THESE ARE A REAL TREAT FOR GAME DAY. YOU CAN GRILL THE MEAT AND CARAMELIZED THE ONIONS THE NIGHT BEFORE AND ASSEMBLE THEM INTO THE PASTRY JUST BEFORE BAKING. BE SURE TO GRILL THE BURGERS JUST UNDER YOUR DESIRED INTERNAL TEMPERATURE SINCE THEY’LL BE COOKED FURTHER IN THE OVEN. NEXT TIME, I’M MAKING THESE SMALLER AS “SLIDERS”.
Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 yellow onions, coursely chopped
- 4 slices cheese of your choice (blue, Fontina, Gruyere, Cheddar)
- 1 box puffed pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the sirloin, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Don’t over-mix, just mix until combined. Form into four patties.
3. Heat a grill to high heat, and grill burgers to your desired temperature. Alternatively, broil the burgers in oven, turning after 3 minutes (or browned). Remove burgers to a plate and let cool down a bit.
4. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and a little salt. Reduce heat to medium, and put lid on pot. Let onions caramelize slowly, and stir occasionally. It will take 30-40 minutes for onions to turn golden brown and very soft. Turn off heat and let onions cool.
5. Unroll puff pastry on a floured board. Use a rolling pin to lightly flatten the pastry. Using a bowl that is slightly larger than the burgers, cut around bowl to make 8 circles of pastry. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Have a bowl of water handy, and pat a little water with your fingers around the edges of each circle. Place four circles of pastry on the parchment paper. Place the burgers on each pastry, and top with a mound of caramelized onions and cheese. Top each burger with the remaining pastry circles and seal the edges of both pastries together, pressing lightly, and enclosing the burgers. Brush each pastry with egg and sprinkle with a little Kosher salt.
6. Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Note: the burgers will cook more when they are in the oven enclosed in the pastry, so you may want to “undercook” them on the grill.