THIS IS A RECIPE FROM MY FARMERS MARKET COOKING CLASS. I ACTUALLY PREFER FLANK STEAK OVER SKIRT STEAK, BUT EITHER WORKS GREAT. MAKE SURE YOU BLOT THE STEAK WITH A PAPER TOWEL AFTER MARINATING SO YOU GET A GOOD SEAR ON THE MEAT. IF YOU’RE IN A HURRY, YOU CAN JUST MARINATE FOR 15 MINUTES!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped italian parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (2 pound) flank steak
1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except steak.
2. Pulse to combine. Do not blend to a puree.
3. Remove half of the sauce and put in bowl. Reserve remaining sauce.
4. Season both sides of flank steak with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to a large plastic bag. Add the reserved sauce and cover the meat.
6. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
7. Preheat a grill to medium heat.
8. Remove steak and let come to room temperature.
9. Wipe off excess marinade.
10. Grill steak six minutes on first side. Rotate the steak 90 degrees and cook another six minutes.
11. Flip steak and repeat, until steak is medium rare.
12. Lay steak on cutting board and let rest five minutes.
13. Cut in thin slices against the grain, and serve with chimichurri sauce reserved bowl.