I LOVE TO ENTERTAIN WITH FOOD! ACTUALLY, I LOVE TO FEED PEOPLE. BUT I HATE THE STRESS OF A MESSY KITCHEN AND TRYING TO FINISH ALL THE FOOD WHILE GUESTS ARE ARRIVING. I HAVE MANY RITUALS FOR PREPARING AHEAD OF TIME. I INCLUDE A LOT OF THOSE IDEAS THROUGHOUT THIS WEBSITE. BUT THIS JERK CHICKEN IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A “DO AHEAD” CROWD PLEASER. GRILL THE CHICKEN THE DAY BEFORE YOU PLAN TO SERVE IT. ALSO, MAKE THE SAUCE AND FRUIT SALSA (IF USING) THE DAY BEFORE. AN HOUR BEFORE SERVING, PUT THE FOIL-COVERED CHICKEN IN THE OVEN AND BAKE UNTIL DONE, ABOUT 40 MINUTES. LET IT REST, AND SERVE WITH SAUCE AND SALSA. YOUR HAIR WON’T SMELL LIKE THE GRILL AND YOUR GUESTS WILL WONDER HOW IN THE WORLD YOU DID THAT!
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 60 minutes Serves: 4
- ½ cup finely ground roasted peanuts
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 ¼ tsp. Cayenne
- ¾ tsp. ground bay leaf
- ¾ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 whole chicken, back bone and breast bone removed sauce:
- ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1” chunk of fresh ginger, whole
- 1 clove garlic, whole
1. Preheat a grill to medium, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the spice rub, combine the first ten ingredients into a food processor, and pulse until course. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken evenly.
3. Grill chicken until marked, about three minutes per side. Transfer to a roasting pan lined with aluminum foil. Roast in oven until browned and cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 35 minutes. (After grilling, you can cover the chicken with foil and refrigerate until the next day. Put in oven with foil and finishing cooking for 40 minutes, or until done.)
5. Put all ingredients into a small saucepan over medium high heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes, or until it has reduced more than half, and has thickened slightly. After ten minutes of simmering, remove the garlic clove and ginger.
6. Cut chicken into serving pieces and serve with sauce.