IN HONOR OF TODAY, THE FIRST OFFICIAL DAY OF AUTUMN (AND MY LOVE FOR GREEN CHILES!) HERE IS MY DELICIOUS RECIPE FOR PORK AND GREEN CHILE STEW. I WAS RECENTLY THE “FEATURED LOCAL CHEF” AT THE FABULOUS CHERRY STREET FARMER’S MARKET WHERE I SERVED SAMPLES OF THIS, AND IT WAS A HIT! I BOUGHT THE PORK AND GREEN CHILES THAT I USED IN THE RECIPE AT THE FARMER’S MARKET, TOO. KEEP THIS RECIPE ON HAND AS THE WEATHER WILL BE GETTING COOLER BEFORE WE KNOW IT!
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 60 minutes Serves: 8
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound tomatillos, husked, and chopped, divided
- 4 green onions, coursely chopped
- 2 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 pounds pork loin, cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped roasted green chiles
- 1 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1. In a blender, puree 2 cups of chicken broth, the tomatillos, green onions, cilantro, and garlic. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add pork which has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
3. When pork is nearly browned, add the onions. Cook until tender. Add chiles, oregano, cumin, pureed sauce, and remaining 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes over low heat.
4. Add tomatoes and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
5. It may be necessary to add water, if mixture is too thick. Add salt. if necessary. Serve warm with sour cream and cilantro.