THIS CHICKEN WITH PRESERVED LEMONS AND OLIVES COOKS PERFECTLY IN A MOROCCAN TAGINE. HOWEVER, YOU CAN ALSO COOK IT IN A DUTCH OVEN. I USED STORE-BOUGHT PRESERVED LEMONS, BUT IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN IT WOULD BE EVEN MORE SPECIAL.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 minute Serves: 8-10
- 8-10 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into strips
- 1 cup green olives, halved
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- pinch of saffron threads
- freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade. Put the chicken thighs in a shallow dish and coat them in the marinade, rubbing it into the skin. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
2. Heat the olive oil with the butter in a tagine or large skillet. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and brown them in the oil. Pour over the marinade that is left in the dish and add enough water to come halfway up the sides of the chicken pieces. Bring the water to boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for about 45 minutes.
3. Add the preserved lemon, olives and half the thyme and oregano to the tagine. Cover again and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Check the seasoning and sprinkle the rest of the thyme over the top. Serve immediately from the tagine.