- 2 tbsp. blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. minced parsley
- 1/4 tsp. crumbled thread saffron
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken
- 1/4 pound diced Spanish ham or prosciutto
- 1/2 pound lean, mildly spiced sausage
- 3 medium red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 cups short grain or Arborio rice
- 6 tbsp. frozen or fresh peas
- 12 frozen artichoke hearts, cut in quarters
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds and pine nuts on an oven tray and toast in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes. In a mini-processor, grind the almonds, pine nuts, garlic, parsley, saffron, and . tsp. salt. Add about 2 tsp. water and continue to process until it is a paste. Add another 3 tbsp. water.
Pour the broth into a pot and keep hot over the lowest heat. Raise the oven to 400 degrees. Heat 2 tbsp. of the oil in a paella pan measuring 17 inches at its widest point. Saute the chicken, ham, and sausage over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Drain off most of the fat and oil. Add the remaining 6 tbsp. oil, the red peppers, and onions, and sauté until the vegetables are softened.
Stir in the paprika and tomatoes, and cook 2 minutes. Lower the heat and cook about 15 minutes more. Stir in the rice and coat well with the pan mixture. Pour in all the hot broth and bring to a boil. Taste for salt, add the mortar mixture, peas, and artichokes, and continue to boil, stirring until the rice is no longer soupy but sufficient liquid remains to continue cooking the rice, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to the oven. Cook, uncovered, until the rice is almost al dente, 10-12 minutes. Remove to a warm spot, cover with foil, and let sit 5-10 minutes, until the rice is cooked to taste.