Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 6
- 1 pound red beets
- 1 pound golden beets
- ½ cup raw (not roasted) sunflower seeds (2¼ oz)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz sunflower sprouts or baby mesclun (6 cups)
- 4 ounces of goat cheese
1. Put oven racks in lower third and middle of oven and preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Trim beet greens, leaving 1 inch of stems attached.
3. Separating the red and gold beets, tightly wrap beets together in double layers of foil to make packages (2 or 3 per package) and roast in middle of oven until tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
4. Unwrap beets and cool slightly.
5. While beets roast, toast sunflower seeds in a pie plate or a small baking pan in lower third of oven, shaking occasionally, until seeds are golden, about 10 minutes.
6. Whisk together shallot, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar in a small bowl, then add oil in a stream, whisking.
7. When beets are cool enough to handle, slip off and discard skins. Cut beets lengthwise into ¼-inch thick slices and gently toss with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette in a bowl.
8. Toss sunflower sprouts and half of sunflower seeds with remaining vinaigrette in another bowl.
9. Arrange beets on 6 salad plates and top with dressed sprouts. Sprinkle salads with remaining sunflower seeds, and pieces of goat cheese.