Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 10
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. jalapeno, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a two-quart casserole dish with melted butter. In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
2. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and add the buttermilk, jalapeno, cheese and butter. Combine the milk mixture with the dry ingredients and blend with a large spoon just until the flours are moistened. Do not stir too much.
3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and bake 40 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Let cool a bit and serve.