Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 12
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chile powder
- 1/2 cup roasted green chiles (less if they are too spicy)
- 1/2 cup smoked cheddar cheese (or smoked gouda)
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a popover pan into oven on lowest rack to heat. Remove all upper racks to allow popovers to rise. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and chile powder. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a hand mixer until batter is smooth with no lumps. Stir in chiles and cheese. Remove popover pan from oven and carefully brush the melted butter into each tin. Pour batter into the tins, filling 3/4 full. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. To roast green chiles: Place whole chiles directly on a hot grill or gas stovetop over medium heat. Watch carefully and turn with tongs as the skins blacken. When all sides of chiles are blackened and blistered, remove to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool. When cool, remove stems and squeeze out seeds and remove skins. Do not run chiles under water, which will remove much of the delicious flavors. A little black char left on the chiles is fine.