Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Servings: 12
- 2 boxes of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup of smoked ham, cut into very small pieces
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Gruyere cheese or
- 1/2 cup herbed soft cheese
- 1 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Carefully unfold the puff pastry and roll out on a floured board so it is just a bit thinner than the original pastry. If the pastry will not unfold once it is thawed, just roll out into a large rectangle.
2. Using a 3” round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut as many rounds of pastry as you can. Discard the excess.
3. Brush half of each round with the egg. Mound a small amount of ham and cheese onto half of the round. Fold over the pastry so it makes a half-moon shape, allowing the egg to act as a glue to enclose the filling.
4. Place each empanada on a baking sheet and brush with egg. Bake for 16 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
5. Note: you can add caramelized onions to the filling or chopped fresh herbs, or anything that doesn’t have too much moisture. You can also freeze the empanadas on the baking sheet before they are baked. After they’re frozen, place in a zip bag, and remove the amount you need to bake when you’re ready, but do not thaw. They will take slightly longer to bake.