After visiting two farmers markets in the past 5 days, I decided to put some of the green veggies to work! This spring risotto is versatile in that you can incorporate whatever is in season. Remember, the secret to perfect risotto is patience! (and salt!)
- 6 tbsp. butter, divided
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- ½ cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- ½ cup spring peas, blanched
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4-5 cups hot chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped fresh chives (for garnish)
1. Heat half of the butter (3 tbsp.) in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in leeks, fennel, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in rice and cook until all grains are covered with butter.
3. Add wine and bring to simmer. Let reduce about 5 minutes or less.
4. Slowly add 1½ cups of hot stock, stirring frequently over medium heat until most of the stock is absorbed, about 7 minutes.
5. Add another 1½ cups of stock and stir, cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes.
6. Pour in the last cup of stock and repeat the process. The rice should be al dente (offers slight resistance when chewed).
7. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in Parmesan cheese, peas, and chives. Serve immediately.